Namoradeira at Feira Hippie, BELO HORIZONTE (MG)
Feira Hippie has nothing to do with hippies in general. It is an open air market, on Sundays, in the morning, in the center of Belo Horizonte. The largest market of Southern America, according to the tourist site, counts more than 2500 expositors, which offer a wide variety of arts, jewelry, toys, bags, shoes, furniture, decoration, clothes, and other things. Besides, there are various stands that offer local snacks and cold drinks. The Feira started in 1969, at Praça da Liberdade. With the years, the market expanded. In 1991, due to shortage of space, the market had to be moved to Avenida Afonso Pena, and now welcomes about 100 thousand visitors.
A namoradeira is a sculpture that is a typical product of Minas Gerais. It generally is made of wood, but can also be made of ceramics, plaster, or resin. The brightly painted sculpture represents a young girl, normally with a dark skin, with one arm supporting her head, and another crossed over her chest. A pose of a young, single girl, who is impatiently waiting for her lover. The sculpture usually is placed in the window.
The original picture was taken in July 2008
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: View from Mangabeiras Park, Belo Horizonte (MG) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: São Francisco de Assis Church, Belo Horizonte (MG) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Imaging Brazil: (06) Capoeira in Belo Horizonte (MG) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Blue Lilies in Pampulha, Belo Horizonte (MG) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Orchids, Belo Horizonte (MG) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Imaging Brazil (13): Curious Monkeys in Mangabeiras Park, Belo Horizonte (MG) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)