A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
SEPTEMBER 2006: Church stars
One of the principal churches in Belo Horizonte is the Igreja de São José (St. Joseph Church). In 1897, construction of the new capital of Minas Gerais was started. Around 1900, the city already hosted more than fourteen thousand inhabitants. Churches were needed for the new residents. Therefore, the bishop of nearby Mariana invited Dutch missionaries to come to Belo Horizonte. Father Pedro Beks was one of them. Two years later, the construction of the São José church was started. It was built in the Manoel style, with strong Dutch influences. At present, the church, surrounded by green area, has become a tourist attraction, with more than 1500 visitors a day.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 2006, 2014