A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
003: St. Paul Church
There is evidence that already during the Stone Age, people settled in what is now Bad Kreuznach, a city in the romantic Nahe Valley, at about 40 km from Mainz. In the Roman Age, it was a Celtic settlement which the Romans named Cruciniacum. The settlement served as a supply station between Mainz and Trier. The historic center is split in Altstadt (Old Town) and Neustadt (New Town), divided by the Nahe River. In 1311, construction of the Pauluskirche (St. Paul Church) was started on an island. It was initially dedicated to Virgin Mary and St. Kylian, then it became a Reformed Church, and now it is an Evangelical Church. The church was destroyed by the troops of King Louis XIV, and rebuilt in 1781. The biggest church between Mainz and Trier, it received the marriage of Karl Marx in 1843.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 2010, 2017