A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
005: Giant rock with castle ruin
Recently, Bad Münster am Stein – Ebernburg became part of the municipality of Bad Kreuznach. The spa town (recognized as mineral spring spa and climatic spa) already was named in the twelfth century. The village was founded below the colossal, 136 m high Rheingrafenstein rock, which is rich in porphyry. In 1050, Rheingrafenstein Castle was built on top of this rock; according to a local legend, it was built by the devil overnight. During the Middle Ages, the castle was inhabited by the knights of Lowenstein and the Rhinegraves. in 1689, the castle was destroyed by the French troops of King Louis XIV, but the ruins still exist. It is possible to visit the ruins by taking a hand-driven ferry over the Nahe River, and then climb a steep path to the top. The castle ruin is hardly visible in this picture.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 1991-2001, 2017