A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
022: Castle ruin Freudenberg
Freudenburg is a small village – about 1500 inhabitants – at 32 km south of Trier. In the 14th century, a Luxemburg count decided to construct a castle at the foot of the Eiderberg mountain: Burg Freudenberg (‘Freyding” at the time of the construction). The castle underwent reforms in the 16th century, when an abbey acquired Freudenberg. In 1646, in a battle between the abbey and the electoral prince of Trier, the castle was destroyed completely. It never became rebuilt. At present, there is still a trench of the Gothic castle, as well as the castle gate, and the remains of a three-story quarry stone building, and of a keep. The beam holes in the walls provide some idea how the castle would have been before its destruction.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 1991-2001, 2017