A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
015: Poppelsdorf Palace
One of the most beautiful constructions in Germany’s former capital is without doubt the baroque-style Poppelsdorfer Schloss (Poppelsdorf Castle). Located at walking distance from the railway station, the pale yellow-plastered castle is hard to miss. It is unknown when the original castle was built, but in 1341, the castle was acquired by an archbishop, and became a regional seat. In 1583, the castle was destroyed in a regional war (Cologne War), which occurred within the context of Protestant Reformation in Germany. Only in 1715, rebuilding of the castle was started, and finished twenty years later. About a century later, in 1818, the castle became part of the newly founded Bonn University, which moved the natural science collections to there, and transformed the garden in a botanical garden. The castle was heavily damaged during WWII in 1944, but was rebuilt in 1959. The castle still hosts important natural science collections, and several university departments. The photograph shows the reflection of the building in the pond that is part of the botanical garden.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 1991-2001, 2017