A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
When I was walking in the historic center of Porto, I noticed many hawkers standing or sitting down at the pavement, trying to sell their merchandise. Most of them sold products, which they grew at home, or at their farm. Different kinds of fruit and vegetables, eggs, nuts. They had put their merchandise on simple crates, and some of them even made some more effort to arrange their vegetables and fruit in neat piles or pyramids. This older woman sat on the curbstones and waited patiently for her customes. A man in the corner of the photo appears to watch her.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 1999, 2001, 2003, 2017
Praia do Francês, ALAGOAS (AL)
Praia do Francês is one of the most popular beaches in Alagoas. The beach is located in the vicinity of the small city of Marechal Deodoro, the birthplace of the first president of Brazil. It is a calm, wide beach with many barracks. The numerous bars and restaurants offer a diversity of local (sea)food and drinks. On the beach, there is a great number of ambulant vendors that try to sell a surprising large variety of merchandise. From painted tiles to bamboo hats to newspapers to peanuts to sunburn cream to shrimps to coconut carvings to pirate DVDs. The vendor in the photograph is trying to sell cotton candies. Cotton candies are very popular in Brazil, where it is called algodão doce.
The original picture was taken in July 2008.
Click HERE for general information about MACEIÓ,
including history, touristic information and informative videos.
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Gunga Beach, Alagoas (AL) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: RIO DE JANEIRO (10). Imaging Praia do Diabo (Devil’s Beach) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (10) Imaging the Bus Travel, Hour by Hour III (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: RIO DE JANEIRO (13). Back at Ipanema Beach (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- A Foreigner in Brazil (25): JUL 2006 (IV). Beaches in Salvador (BA) (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Brazil: A nation that makes you want to dance (telegraph.co.uk)
- Travel in Brazil: RIO DE JANEIRO (09). Beaches of Arpoador and Ipanema (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: Belo Horizonte – MARANHÃO: (07) Way of Life in Bahia (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- COLORFUL BRAZIL: Light Tower at Coruripe, Alagoas (AL) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: PRAIA DO FORTE, ILHA SANTA CATARINA (SC), part two (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: PRAIA DO FORTE, ILHA SANTA CATARINA (SC) (adrianoantoine.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (03). Barreirinhas, Gateway to Lençóis Maranhenses (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)
- World Heritage Wonder: Fernando de Noronha Archipelago, Brazil (3rdculturechildren.com)
- New on Lunasurf – Praia Swimwear (lunasurfshop.wordpress.com)
- Snapshots from the Shark Museum, Fernando de Noronha Archipelago, Brazil (josmanu.wordpress.com)
- Travel in Brazil: MARANHÃO (07). Barreirinhas: Touristic Information and Web Links (insiderbrazil.wordpress.com)