A personal selection of photographs with their stories.
330: Wooden Bridge
The first city and capital of Minas Gerais is located at a little more than a hundred km from Belo Horizonte. Initially, the village was named Alberquerque, not much later renamed into Ribeirão do Carmo. In 1745, the Portuguese king decided to name the city after his wife, Mary of Austria: Mariana. It was capital of Minas Gerais for only nine years, when in 1720, neighboring Vila Rica (now Ouro Preto) became the new capital. Mariana has a cozy historic center, located on many hills. There are a number of churches that contain works of the famous baroque sculptor Aleijadinho. Near the railway station, you can find this wooden bridge, which is shared by cars and pedestrians.
© Adriano Antoine Robbesom 2011, 2017
Original size 8064×2023
Already in 1643, when the Dutch dominated northeast Brazil, a wooden bridge was constructed to span the Capibaribe River, and to link the islands of Recife and Santo Antônio. Since then, the bridge has undergone various reforms throughout the centuries. Four statues are flanking both entrances of the bridge.
The picture is a compilation of separate images, joined with the help of Autopano software.
The original pictures were taken with a Canon PowerShot A540
f/4 1/1250 sec.
<iframe title=”Brazil” src=”http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ponte+Maur%C3%ADcio+de+Nassau,+Recife+-+Pernambuco,+Brasil&aq=2&sll=-20.385943,-43.50381&sspn=0.010399,0.021136&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ponte+Maur%C3%ADcio+de+Nassau+-+Recife,+Pernambuco,+Brazil&lt;/a&gt;&amp;amp;t=h&amp;amp;z=14&amp;amp;ll=-8.063843,-34.875679&amp;amp;output=embed”&gt;
View Larger Map